Sunday, September 30, 2007

I Want To Ride My Bicycle

It's October in Michigan. No better time to think about doing some hardcore outdoor activities, is there? Yes, there bloody well is. Better late than never, though, I suppose. Come this week and Spring, I'm going to be tooling around Hines Park on my new bicycle.

Big ups to James Vreeland, my coworker, for pointing me to this site and helping to clarify some bicycling vernacular. I described what kind of bike I wanted, and what I didn't want, and he told me that I was looking for a "cruiser" with "coaster brakes." That is -- something where I'm not hunched over those curly-que handlebars, changing gears like mad, and pulling back on the hand brakes in hopes of stopping. "I want something like my damn Huffy," I told him. "No Mountain Bike, not a lot of gears, I'm not planning on driving on anything other than flat ground." I still have bad memories of my Junior High ten speed.

I placed an order yesterday for the Firmstrong Urban Nexus 3-speed in "holy god that's orange." I'm hoping that the weather holds long enough, and the sun stays high enough in the evening sky, for me to get some good after-work and weekend rides out of this before Winter takes hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment